Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where did this come from?


I've been practicing mindful eating for several months, admittedly with a lax approach. Now that I've made this commitment to think more consciously about where food comes from I realize just how negligent an eater I am. Now, I'm obsessing about things like where did my yogurt come from? The HQ is here in seattle though I'm guessing that the manufacturing plant is beyond a 100 mile radius. When we don't know the origin of the food source, is it enough to justify plating it if it's a) organic, b) hormone free, c) a whole food, d) supporting a local business?

It was a frenzied weekend and to save time I relied on the apples & pears picked from our family farm on vashon and the greens from the magolia farmers market. My big A-Ha! moment on monday was that I'm questioning why I ate tomatoes? I have "seasonal disorder". When I'm out with friends & family I need to make my selections based on what I believe to be regionally available in the northwest --right now. Okay, so tomatoes may be out but I have mushrooms. There are compromises to be made every day and my locavore journey goes on. I'd like to get to the point where I can make my own dough for bread and pasta --we have the local eggs & dairy.

No comments: