Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Weekend in Bend, Oregon


I had a wonderful visit with my mom. We shopped, we walked, we ate scrumptious locally raised beef. That said, I didn't practice the 80% locavore rule and feel defeated.
For five days, I found it nearly impossible (for me) to choose from a local food shed - not even sure how I would have identified it unless it was printed on a menu. It's not easy. It requires a lot more intention and research than I was prepared to give. I think too that it created complicated situations at meal times and also behavior that didn't bode well (socially acceptable) with my family. So I let go and went with the flow.
The little home town that I grew up in - from K-12 - has become a thriving, economically strong (in appearance), intelligent and artistic small urban city. The beauty is in it's certain cowtown-ness that I hope sticks for a long long time. I am so proud to see that it is drawing restaurants with an afinity for locally grown produce and farmed raised animals. We have an artisan cheese farm. Redmond is really discovering it's natural potential to provide it's community. It used to be, back-in-the-day just about locally spun llama wool. Wow, it's so much more.

No comments: