Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm giving up Haagen-Dazs


There are foods that I'm willing to part with this month - just so that I acknowledge that these scrumptious pints of ice cream are distributed from a source that is a long way from my house. Instead I'm making my own with eggs and milk that come from the farmers market on vashon.

On the flip side, I am struggling to give up diet soda. I know it's bad and I like it. If anything, I am more immediately motivated to reducing my recycling bin and cutting out excessive cans and bottles. The conflicting studies on whether the chemical bisphenol-A in cans and bottles is safe is also needling at me. There seems to be so many stories of late that say the Food and Drug Administration is ignoring scientific evidence and using flawed methods when determining a chemical widely used in baby bottles and in the lining of cans is not harmful.

I am travelling to Bend, Oregon for the rest of the week so eating out and grocery shopping will be a challenge, especially since my mom and I love to eat. Central Oregon is already experiencing freezing temperatures -- and I'll be craving comfort food.

No comments: