Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Preparing an Eat-Local feast for Thanksgiving

My mind is a whirl with ideas for a mostly vegetarian thanksgiving. I am crazy for butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes and yams - everything can be roasted and tossed together or pureed for soup. Stuffing goes without saying. I always make a sweet and savory cranberry cornbread stuffing no matter what the theme of the dinner. And since we have apples a plenty, dessert will be a no crust apple pie. Instead of brining the turkey - it's going straight to the oven with a crust of freshly ground fennel, coriander, white peppercorns and kosher salt. Lemon halves and rosemary sprigs inside.

The romantic ideal of buying a farm fresh turkey within a 100 mile radius is just not economically feasible for me. I'm going to be more than thrilled to select an organically raised bird at PCC market for $3.50 lb.

Rustic presentation, beautiful in it's simplicity, is my MO for maintaining holiday sanity. This usually means a less aggressive/pared down grocery list, minimal day-of prep time and a coordinated cooking schedule that maximizes oven time. Thanksgiving at my place may not be ultra-gourmet but it will be scrumptious with heaping spoonfuls of local goodness and love, laughter and thankfulness a plenty.

No comments: